Computer-based tools and software are becoming an essential part of the automotive industry. Driverless cars, smart cars, AI implemented vehicles, are no more superficial and fantasy concepts. Not just for drivers, but automation has made its entry in the manufacturing department of auto industry. CNC plasma cutting systems have simplified customizing automotive parts.
CNC plasma cutter is a computerised system that holds the plasma torch and it is moved in a computer directed path, to cut through steel, Stainless steel, aluminium, brass, and copper. CNC here stands for “Computer Numerical Control”, representing that computer uses numerical codes in a program to move the plasma torch with the specified movements for plasma cutting.
Along with other industries, the automotive industry benefits from the use of the CNC plasma cutter. The industry earns it bread and butter through customization of vehicles and its part; this cutter is the best asset they can own.
Composition of CNC plasma cutter
The entire system is a combination of hardware devices and integrated software codes
- The CNC comes in two forms
- actual controller designed for machine tools, with a proprietary interface panel and a specially designed control console
- A simple Windows-based laptop computer running a special software program and communicating with the machine drives through the Ethernet port.
- The software program (usually just text files with “M-codes” and “G-codes”) controlling the motion of the torch as it cuts through the steel plate.
- It has a drive system which consists of drive amplifiers, motors (at least two motors, one for X-axis and other for Y-axis), encoders, and cables.
- The machine’s drive system moves the torch in the intended direction when CNC reads the part program and send an output signal to the system. Hence, the it has an i/o system attached with the complete machine setup.
Some other sub-systems and features can also be found, such as arc voltage height control systems, plasma bevel systems, integrated plasma control systems, and so on.
What it can do
Plasma cutting is used for all sorts of metal fabrication and welding centers, auto repair and restoration shops, industrial construction sites, and salvage operation sites. For designers and artists, the most common uses are in signage and sculpture, as well as being used in decorative panels for interior projects.
In the automotive industry, all the metal parts are being cut into required shape and sizes to construct a basic or complex design of the vehicle.
The love for CNC plasma cutter
The reasonable price and the increase in the precision capabilities of the gearboxes, ground cross axis linear ways, and AC servo motors/amplifiers have made them the first choice in every industry that needs CNC plasma cutter.
Some vendors are using common software codes, as others, to unify itwith their machine platform while some innovative vendors are working exclusively. They are offering their own kind of machine product well knitted with the newest technologies. They also assist companies to upgrade their present plasma systems with company’s products, without going through the hassle of replacing the complete system.
And the major charm of 21st Century CNC plasma cutter is their capability to handle almost every steel cutting task, using a single machine. This is made possible due to the availability of machines in the lengths ranging from 50 feet to hundreds of feet.
This cutting miracle is making lives easier for many industries. It is lending its support to the workers around the globe so that they can be more artistic when it comes to cutting steel.